Warning: This article contains spoilers that some readers may prefer to avoid. Please click here if you wish to continue.
X Factor USA group Lakoda Rayne have admitted they were unhappy at host Steve Jones's comment immediately following their elimination from the show.
After revealing that the results of the public vote had sent Lakoda Rayne home on Wednesday night, the host turned to the group and said "the dream is over", although they quickly insisted on air that was not true.
Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter backstage, singer Paige Elizabeth said: "I took what Steve said a little bit personally, I found it offensive.
"The dream is over? That was inappropriate. You don't say stuff like that. That's why I like ninja-gripped the microphone."
However, the group's mentor Paula Abdul pointed out that the nature of live television means that things don't always run smoothly and defended Jones - who described Lakoda Rayne as "wonderful" on his Twitter account after the show - by saying he has a "hard" job and would never intend to offend anybody.
"I couldn't believe he said that, but I've explained to these girls as I've worked with them that it's a TV show and people don't say the right things at times," she said.
"Maybe it was scripted and someone who wrote it didn't realise. It's a hard job what he does and I think Steve realised a dream isn't over."
Watch Lakoda Rayne's elimination below:
After the show Elizabeth also took to her Twitter account to write: "@SteveJones I took the mic from you tonight, that's right (; don't tell me my dreams over Mr. Jones! See ya at the finale (; (sic)"
Fellow groupmember Hayley Orrantia added on her own account: "Top 9 on the first Season of X Factor in the USA. Last group in the competition and the dream is NOT over. #lakodarayneforever."
Lakoda Rayne were the first act to be sent home from X Factor during Wednesday's double elimination after receiving the fewest public votes.
Cari Fletcher said: "It's disappointing to go this early when we've come so far but everybody has to go at some point. There is only going to be one winner so eight other people have to go home. It's a shame our time came this early but it's only the beginning for us."
X Factor also said goodbye to 60-year-old singer LeRoy Bell, who exited following a sing-off against Marcus Canty.