Sir Cliff Richard not joining 'The Voice' UK, says BBC
Published Jul 6 2012, 10:48 BST | By Daniel Sperling
The BBC has denied reports that Sir Cliff Richard
has been approached to coach The Voice
The 'Living Doll' singer was alleged to have told The People
that there had been "a conversation" with producers about him joining will.i.am, Jessie J, Sir Tom Jones and Danny O'Donoghue on the show's second series.
© PA Images / David Parker/Daily Mail/PA Wire/
"I'd be silly if I didn't think about it," he was quoted as saying. "The Voice
is a terrific show and the format really interests me, particularly the blind audition. It's definitely something I would like to do."
However, BBC Head of Communications Sam Hodges has now dismissed the 71-year-old's claim on Twitter
, stating: "Despite reports to the contrary, there are no plans for Cliff Richard to join #TheVoiceUK."
BBC One controller Danny Cohen said back in May that he wants all four coaches to return to The Voice
, though there has been speculation that Jessie J wants to quit her role
Despite losing almost seven million viewers over the course of its first series and the cancellation of its national tour due to lack of demand
, The Voice
UK has been heralded as the BBC's biggest entertainment launch in a decade
, with more viewers on average than the debut series of The X Factor
UK, Strictly Come Dancing
and I'm a Celebrity