'Misfits': Episode six recap
Published Dec 4 2011, 23:30 GMT | By Catriona Wightman
Warning: This article contains language and/or sexual references that younger readers are advised to avoid.
This weekend's episode of Misfits
was an absolute riot - a laugh-out-loud belter that still packed in a bunch of emotional moments and a little bit of a cliffhanger, too. It was one of the busiest instalments we've had in a while, but it didn't feel rushed - on the contrary, the pace was perfect.
The episode was largely about sex, but it wasn't another instalment of Fishermen's Friends and Simon-and-Alisha moments. Instead, it was the darker side of coitus that got an airing - STDs and pregnancy. Of course, this is Misfits
, so it was all as wonderfully inventive and bizarre as usual.
We begin with Rudy at a house party, desperately attempting to chat up a lady. One's getting told her hair smells like Readybrek ("the breakfast of champions"), another's being complimented on her collarbones, and a third hears that she has the best ankles Rudy's ever seen.
Somehow, this mess of a man gets one of the women into the bedroom. She checks that he's not just going to use her for sex and will call her tomorrow, and Rudy promises. But after the deed (which is all over rather speedily) Rudy reveals that actually he won't be calling her at all. Unsurprisingly, the unidentified woman is unhappy about this, so she grabs his genitals and uses some kind of power. Ouch.
The next morning, Rudy's boasting about his night out - he even got the woman's number. And hey, refusing to call her again is just saving her heartbreak in the long term. But it's not long before he's distracted by the sound of an ice cream van. He goes to get the group's order with Curtis - who turns into Melissa without meaning to. Hmm... Rudy's a bit intrigued, but he goes to the toilet and drops his ice cream in horror: "What the f**k is that?"
At that moment, Simon has a big flash into the future - he's in a nightclub with Rudy, whose penis has fallen off! Turns out the woman he slept with is furious with him. Back in the present, Simon goes to ask Rudy the question no man wishes to hear: "Is there something wrong with your penis?"
He doesn't really need to ask - Rudy turns round to show him and Simon recoils in horror. Rudy actually squeals when he hears about Simon's vision of the future (incredible) but Simon suggests that they can change it. All Rudy needs to do is to make sure the woman doesn't punish him for walking away after sex. He's got to track her down and make things right (Rudy basically takes this as an invitation to have sex with her again.)
They remember Rudy has the phone number, but he's torn it up. They piece it together, but the final two numbers are missing - and Rudy's idea to try all the different combinations proves unworkable pretty quickly. Instead, Simon and Rudy return to the house where the party was held. They find a girl passed out in the bedroom, and Rudy's sure she's the one, so he wakes her up and starts gushing about how he's falling for her and how he wants to be her boyfriend.
Unfortunately - you've guessed it - he's talking to the wrong girl. Luckily, Simon's found some photographs taken on the night of the party and he thinks he knows who Rudy slept with - Amy Goodwin. And the girl he'd just been gushing over gives them her address (some friend, right? Would you give Rudy your mate's address? No.)
Back at the community centre, Seth and Kelly are being naughty in a store cupboard. Afterwards, Seth asks Kelly if she'd like to go on holiday with him - maybe to Morocco - but she mumbles something about community service and avoids the invite. Seth's up for more sex, anyway, but Kelly needs to "have a wee before we start". (This was really sweet, actually - there's something about talking about peeing that makes a couple seem real somehow.)
The only problem is that she's not the only one who needs the bathroom. Curtis/Melissa is struggling - he keeps changing sex, and her breasts are really sore. Alisha looks a bit worried, and before you know it Melissa is taking a pregnancy test.
Yup, it's positive - turns out that Curtis wasn't as careful as he should have been when he was pleasuring himself and switching between genders (yes, Curtis is the father of Melissa's baby - if that doesn't make your head spin, nothing will). And, of course, Seth later finds the pregnancy test in the bin and gets the wrong idea...
But let's head back to Simon and Rudy, who go to find Amy. Rudy decides it would be a good idea to drop his trousers to greet her... except the door is opened by Amy's 7-year-old sister. Naturally, this doesn't make Amy too inclined to help Rudy... and again, it turns out she's not the one who slept with him. In fact, Rudy's causing all kinds of problems - Amy's girlfriend isn't too impressed to hear that she's been kissing a guy.
And the problems go from bad to worse - Amy's sister's only dobbed him in to the police. He gets locked up in the police station and other-Rudy arrives to taunt him a bit, but in a surprisingly emotional moment Rudy bursts into tears and admits he's scared. Pacified a bit, other-Rudy agrees to help him get out of the police station. They go to the toilet, and in the cubicle other-Rudy emerges. He walks off with the police escort, leaving Rudy free to escape (and promising to pick up other-Rudy later). And Simon has an idea of where to go next...
They head to that nightclub Simon foresaw and begin the search (they're looking out for the one with pretty collarbones. Easy). They don't have to look for too long, though - Rudy's scorned woman comes over and slaps him in the chops. Yeah, that'll be her, then. And she doesn't feel like helping him get better, either.
But when Rudy gets up on stage and makes a heartfelt apology, explaining that he acts like an idiot because he's scared of rejection, the woman is actually moved and agrees to fix him - as long as he promises not to treat women like that anymore. Phew! Rudy even asks her out for a drink, but she's not too convinced and walks off. Aww.
Let's head back to the others, though. Seth asks Kelly straight out if she's pregnant, which she denies. But the conversation is interrupted when Seth gets a phone call and has to rush off. Meanwhile, things are really going wrong for Curtis, who's become stuck as Melissa - he can't change back!
It turns out Seth hired someone to find a particular power - the ability to bring people back from the dead (cough dead girlfriend cough) - and now he's got his hands on it. He's clearly conflicted about using it because of Kelly - who's calling to apologise for her earlier reaction and suggest that they do go to Morocco. But he's determined.
Melissa has come up with a plan, too. She goes to see Seth and asks to switch powers - that way, she can't be pregnant anymore. Seth agrees - but on one condition. Curtis has to take the resurrecting-dead-people power and use it on Seth's dead girlfriend Shannon. Melissa says Kelly's a mate and she can't do that, but Seth insists it's not like that and says they can help each other... So Melissa agrees, takes Seth's hand, and the power is transferred. Melissa turns into Curtis for the final time and looks up, his eyes full of intent... What an ending!Miscellaneous Misfits
What did you think of the episode? Leave your comments below!
- I loved the entire opening sequence with Rudy trying to pick up a woman. He's just so awkward and weird, bless him.
- Adored Rudy's over-excitement at the ice cream van. "Nuts! Nuts! Woah, give me some nuts, extra sauce and a Flake please."
- "They always send a new probation worker after we've killed one."
- Iwan Rheon's facial expressions throughout this entire episode were incredible. When Rudy hands him the ice cream. When he's trying to figure out how to help Rudy's unmentionables. When that little girl opened the door on naked Rudy. When Rudy announces that Curtis is pregnant. When Rudy tells Simon to look out for attractive collarbones. There are too many to mention.
- Also, Simon saying Melissa should eat ginger biscuits for nausea was unbelievably cute.
- The flash-forward with Rudy's penis was great fun, especially with Rudy yelling at someone to pack it in ice.
- "That is like no STD I have ever seen and trust me, I've seen them all."
- Someone hangs up on Rudy when he phones them out of the blue to ask if he had sex with them. "Sorry, but how rude's that, eh? Unbelievable."
- Simon and Rudy's argument about whether having sex with someone who's asleep is rape - shouldn't really be funny. But kind of was.
- Rudy, love - when you're trying to convince someone you're falling for them, best not to say: "Last night when we f**ked, made love, whatever."
- Also: Not sure every girl wants to spend her weekends in Homebase, but nice try.
- Having Rudy and Simon go on a mission together was a stroke of genius. I love their little bromance.
- I loved Rudy's supremely unsurprised response to Curtis's pregnancy, merely congratulating him - "I've got to go, I've got more important things to deal with, like my c**k falling off."
- "That wasn't her. At least, I don't think it was. I can't have been that drunk."
- Rudy planning to pay Amy to get her to have sex with him and sort him out was brilliant. "Do you think I'm a prostitute?" "I think you could be if you wanted, because you're so beautiful."
- "That isn't right. I'm sorry! You can't have a baby where the mum's a man who turns into a woman."
- "Your boyfriend helped save my c**k." "I'm so proud."
- Rudy knows the songs from High School Musical. That is all.