Teen Choice Awards attendees burnt after fog machine malfunction
Published Jul 22 2012, 11:21 BST | By Paul Millar
Young fans suffered burns and respiratory irritations at last night's Teen Choice Awards pre-party in Hollywood.
Attendees were exposed to strong fog vapour which brought harm to 22 people between 8 and 20 years old, six of whom were then hospitalised.
Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department told NBC
: "The fog was so thick that partygoers could not see directly in front of them.
"Rescuers believe a special-effect fog system - perhaps involving carbon dioxide - caused the injuries. Most victims felt better after fresh air and examination.
"Along with respiratory irritation, a few patrons who contacted dripping liquid from apparent heavy use of smoke effect have superficial burn."
Witnesses claim that the incident at the Avalon Hollywood resulted in panic.
Boyband Midnight Red, who were performing at the event, wrote on Twitter
: "Club smoke canisters malfunction. Small panic. Show cancelled by Fire team, not MNR for safety which best for all."
The Teen Choice Awards party was called off after the incident.