Piers Morgan due before the Leveson inquiry today
Published Dec 20 2011, 09:48 GMT | By Andrew Laughlin Piers Morgan
, the former editor of the Daily Mirror
and News of the World
, is to give evidence to the Leveson inquiry into press ethics and standards later today.
Morgan, who now works for TV network CNN in the United States, will appear at the inquiry at London's high court via video link.
His knowledge of phone hacking during his newspaper career has been the subject of serious questions, despite the allegations against the News of the World
coming after he left the paper.
Earlier in the month, former News of the World
features editor Paul McMullan said that Morgan was the trigger for unethical practices at the now defunct Sunday tabloid, although he stopped short of directly implicating the former editor in the phone hacking affair.
McMullan told the Leveson Inquiry
: "My first editor, Piers Morgan, very much set the trend. He was [saying], 'I want that story at all costs. I don't care what you have to do to get that story'. He wanted to be number one, he was driven to sell over 5m copies a week, which is a lot."> Alastair Campbell hits out at 'putrid' press> Harry Potter newspaper articles criticised by JK Rowling> Sienna Miller 'baffled and intimidated' by press intrusion
In August, Heather Mills said that she was informed by a journalist working for Mirror Group Newspapers that her voicemails from ex-husband Sir Paul McCartney were hacked
Mills did say, however, that the journalist who contacted her was not Morgan, who was editor of the Daily Mirror
at the time of the alleged hacking.
Morgan has consistently denied that hacking went on while he was editor of News of the World
and The Mirror
, and insisted that he has "never hacked a phone, told anyone to hack a phone, or published any stories based on the hacking of a phone".
Also appearing at the inquiry today is former News of the World
television editor Sharon Marshall and lawyer Julian Pike.
Yesterday, Stuart Hoare - the brother of former News of the World
journalist and phone hacking whistleblower Sean Hoare - told the inquiry that his brother had witnessed daily hacking at the paper, along with routine hacking at The Sun
Hoare, who died earlier in the year
, had previously told the BBC's Panorama
programme that the then News of the World
editor Andy Coulson had ordered him to hack mobile phones.
Coulson, who quit as David Cameron's communications chief earlier in the year, has denied the claims. > Phone hacking made Dowler family think Milly was alive> Hugh Grant suspects Mail On Sunday of phone hacking> Charlotte Church offered coverage deal to sing at Rupert Murdoch wedding